- Little previous research has addressed the role of community leadership in grassroots innovations.
- Based on in-depth community energy cases in the UK, the article highlights the role of community leadership in the development of such projects.
- Community leadership often utilises tacit knowledge, such as the ability to network, seek resources and spot local talent for projects’ benefit.
- Intermediaries could work closely with community leaders and utilise their position as ‘middle actors’.
- Community leaders can aid processes of voicing expectations, learning and networking in niche building.